Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: saiken(at)quietlycompetent(dot)com, Simone Aiken <saiken(at)ulfheim(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date: 2011-01-19 19:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Simone Aiken
> <saiken(at)quietlycompetent(dot)com> wrote:
>> Pages like this one have column comments for the system tables:
>>
>> http://www.psql.it/manuale/8.3/catalog-pg-attribute.html

> Oh, I see. I don't think we want to go there. We'd need some kind of
> system for keeping the two places in sync.

I seem to recall some muttering about teaching genbki to extract such
comments from the SGML sources or perhaps the C header files. I tend to
agree though that it would be a lot more work than it's worth. And as
you say, pg_description entries aren't free.

Which brings up another point though. I have a personal TODO item to
make the comments for operator support functions more consistent:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/21407.1287157253@sss.pgh.pa.us
Should we consider removing those comments altogether, instead?