Re: Clean up find_typedefs and add support for Mac

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Clean up find_typedefs and add support for Mac
Date: 2023-12-12 23:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech> writes:
> The big patch here is adding support for Mac. objdump -W doesn't work on
> Mac. So, I used dsymutil and dwarfdump to achieve the same result.

We should probably nuke the current version of src/tools/find_typedef
altogether in favor of copying the current buildfarm code for that.
We know that the buildfarm's version works, whereas I'm not real sure
that src/tools/find_typedef is being used in anger by anyone. Also,
we're long past the point where developers can avoid having Perl
installed.

Ideally, the buildfarm client would then start to use find_typedef
from the tree rather than have its own copy, both to reduce
duplication and to ensure that the in-tree copy keeps working.