Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
Date: 2011-03-01 19:45:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think we can give Sync Rep until the 15th, given the pace of work on
>> it. It is a major feature, and a complicated one.

> Sure, but there are other features, major and minor, that we have
> postponed to 9.2. In the normal course of events, sync rep would have
> been marked Returned with Feedback a month ago. I like the feature,
> but I have to say I'm not very pleased that we seem to have fallen
> into a pattern of believing that some major features are somehow
> exempted from the scheduling deadline and others are not.

Yes. What are the rest of us supposed to do for the next two weeks,
twiddle our thumbs?

Personally I've got a couple of days' worth of cleanup tasks before I'd
want to see us cut an alpha anyway, especially if we're going to try
to accept the btree_gist KNNgist patch. Two weeks is too much though.

I'd say that if there's a plausible chance that Sync Rep will be
committable by the end of *this* week (and I mean Friday not Sunday),
I'm willing to wait that long for it. Otherwise, it's 9.2 material.

> Frankly, I think we should be aiming to get a beta out in April, not
> another alpha.

Quite.