Re: current_logfiles not following group access and instead follows log_file_mode permissions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: current_logfiles not following group access and instead follows log_file_mode permissions
Date: 2019-01-15 14:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Excluding the file in the backup can solve the problem of backup by an
> unprivileged user. Is there any scenarios it can cause problems if it
> doesn't follow the group access mode?

The point of this file, as I understood it, was to allow someone who's
allowed to read the log files to find out which one is the latest. It
makes zero sense for it to have different permissions from the log files,
because doing that would break its only use-case.

I am wondering what is the use-case for a backup arrangement that's so
fragile it can't cope with varying permissions in the data directory.