Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Include planning time in EXPLAIN ANALYZE output.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Include planning time in EXPLAIN ANALYZE output.
Date: 2014-02-03 23:55:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:15 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm not really feeling a compelling need to change that. We've been
>> displaying total runtime - described exactly that way - for many
>> releases and it's surely is confusing to the novice that the time
>> reported can be much less than the time reported by psql's \timing
>> option, usually because of planning time.

> I think that has a lot more to do with network roundtrip time and
> protocol/serialization overhead.

The problem I'm having with the way it stands now is that one would
reasonably expect that "Total time" is the total of all times counted
by EXPLAIN, including main plan execution time, trigger firing time,
and now planning time. Since it is not, any longer, a total, I think
renaming it would be a good idea. I'm not wedded to "execution time"
in particular, but I don't like "total".