Re: ia64-hp-hpux11.23 configure warnings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ia64-hp-hpux11.23 configure warnings
Date: 2005-09-13 16:45:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> Here's my 11.23 compile line:
> gcc -O2 -mlp64 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
> -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -I../../../src/include
> -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED -c -o pg_sema.o pg_sema.c

> I've attached sys/types.h and sys/ipc.h. I'm happy to try any
> patches you suggest...

The problem is obviously impossible given those headers ;-).

What seems most probable at this point is that gcc is not looking at
the headers you think it is. gcc keeps private "fixed" copies of
system headers that it thinks are broken. I suspect that your gcc
installation was copied from an earlier HPUX version that had different
contents of one or both of these headers.

I'm not sure if you need to completely reinstall gcc to fix this,
or if just rerunning its fixincludes script will do the job. Or
you could try manually updating the private copies, but that seems
pretty risky. In any case I think it's a gcc-doesn't-match-system
problem, not our bug.