Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Cause pg_proc.probin to be declared as text, not bytea.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Cause pg_proc.probin to be declared as text, not bytea.
Date: 2009-08-04 15:37:02
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Is this any different from the path in "COPY foo to '/path/to/file'"?
> I suspect the probin stuff is a solution in search of a problem.

Well, the previous probin behavior is demonstrably broken. Make a shlib
with backslash or non-ASCII in the name, create a function referencing
it, dump and reload. Whatever your opinions are about encodings, you
won't think pg_dump did the right thing.

I'm not sure whether the more general pathname encoding issue is worth
working on or not. In general it's a non-problem if the paths in the
server filesystem are written in the database encoding. If they are
not, then you have to figure out what they *are* written in, and that
seems a bit tough. But anyway that problem is hardly restricted to
probin, and a solution that works only for probin doesn't seem terribly
interesting.