Re: Loading binary data into the database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com
Cc: Postgresql <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Loading binary data into the database
Date: 2000-07-20 15:08:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> since 7.0.2 binary copy has been disabled, making
> quite a few libpq functions superfluous

Such as? IIRC, the reason we disabled it was precisely that there was
no support on the client side. (What's worse, there's no support in
the FE/BE protocol either. I don't see how you could have made this
work...)

Cross-machine binary copy is a dangerous thing anyway, since it opens
you up to all sorts of compatibility problems. If your app is running
on the same machine as the server, you can write data to a file and
then send a command to do a binary copy from that file.