Re: unrecognized node type while displaying a Path due to dangling pointer

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unrecognized node type while displaying a Path due to dangling pointer
Date: 2023-07-11 11:00:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Attached patch.

I would be astonished if this fixes anything. The code still doesn't
know which paths are referenced by which other ones, and so the place
where we free a previously-added path can't know what to do.

I've speculated about adding some form of reference counting to paths
(maybe just a "pin" flag rather than a full refcount) so that we could
be smarter about this. The existing kluge for "don't free IndexPaths"
could be replaced by setting the pin mark on any IndexPath that we
make a bitmap path from. Up to now it hasn't seemed necessary to
generalize that hack, but maybe it's time. Can you show a concrete
case where we are freeing a still-referenced path?