PITR archive_timeout Command

From: Gnanam <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PITR archive_timeout Command
Date: 2009-08-03 10:50:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I have a basic and quick question related to "archive_timeout" command in
PITR.

I've set "archive_timeout" to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) in
"postgresql.conf", which means WAL archives are generated every 30 minutes.
So, if for an example my WAL archives are generated at the following time:
9:00 am
9:30 am
10:00 am
10:30 am
11:00 am, etc.

I specify PITR recovery time at 10:15 am in "recovery.conf". My question
is, to what time my database is recovered back? At which stage of the
following my database is reverted back:
1) Exactly the database was at 10:15 am
2) Exactly the database was at 10:00 am, because the last WAL archive
before 10:15 am was at 10:00 am.

Regards,
Gnanam