Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE
Date: 2017-02-02 17:14:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> Better to enhance this feature step by step.

> Agreed -- IMO this is a reasonable first step, except that I would
> rename the proposed extension so that it doesn't focus solely on the
> first step.

Quite. The patch fails to make up its mind whether it's a trivial example
meant as a coding demonstration, or something that's going to become
actually useful.

In the category of "actually useful", I would put checks like "are there
unqualified outer references in subqueries". That's something we see
complaints about at least once a month, I think, and it's the type of
error that even seasoned SQL authors can make easily. But the current
patch is not extensible in that direction (checking for this in
post_parse_analyze_hook seems quite impractical).

Also, somebody who wants a check like that isn't necessarily going to want
"no WHERE clause" training wheels. So you're going to need to think about
facilities to enable or disable different checks.