Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Vitaly Belman <vitalib(at)012(dot)net(dot)il>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bryan Encina <bryan(dot)encina(at)valleypres(dot)org>, Matthew Nuzum <cobalt(at)bearfruit(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux
Date: 2004-06-02 15:24:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

> That said, I'm curious why the emulated servers performed better than the
> Native Windows port. My first thought is that they probably aren't syncing
> every write to disk so effectively they're defeating the fsyncs, allowing the
> host OS to buffer disk writes.

It would be fairly easy to check this by repeating the comparisons with
fsync = off in postgresql.conf. A performance number that doesn't
change much would be a smoking gun ;-).

The native port hasn't had any performance testing done on it yet, and
I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a gotcha or two. Perhaps with the
recent schedule change there will be some time for performance tuning
before we go beta.