Re: Extensions and custom_variable_classes (was: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes))

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions and custom_variable_classes (was: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes))
Date: 2010-12-19 16:21:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
> Now, for people following but not reading the patch, what's in is that
> in order for extensions using custom_variable_classes to work without
> the user having to care about it, I've added an step at backend startup
> time to seqscan pg_extension and update custom_variable_classes from
> this catalog.

I agree with Robert that that is an utterly horrid, broken concept.

Just to point out one concrete problem: the postmaster reads
postgresql.conf too, so it would have to do this as well in order to
parse postgresql.conf correctly.

Please remove it. If you think of a non-broken way to do this later,
we can revisit the problem then.