Re: change in behaviour? Is this a regression in function?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Atkinson <gavin(dot)atkinson(at)ury(dot)york(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: change in behaviour? Is this a regression in function?
Date: 2003-01-18 16:34:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> Gavin Atkinson wrote:
>> Was this an intentional change or will it be fixed in 7.4?

> It was an accident and will be fixed in 7.4.

No, it was deliberate --- the difficulty of preserving the old behavior
seemed too high, and there were no complaints about it at the time.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-09/msg00031.php

We've gotten a very small number of complaints subsequently, but AFAICT
most people either haven't noticed or like the space savings.

There has been some subsequent discussion of adding a WITH/WITHOUT OIDS
option to CREATE TABLE AS, eg
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00336.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00357.php
but AFAICT the amount of effort needed is well out of proportion to the
value of the feature. You can always do a plain CREATE TABLE and then
fill the table with INSERT/SELECT, if you need to have OIDs.