Re: Table has duplicate keys, what did I do

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Gateley <gateley(at)jriver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table has duplicate keys, what did I do
Date: 2008-01-29 19:47:11
Lists: pgsql-general

John Gateley <gateley(at)jriver(dot)com> writes:
>> There was a fix released in 8.1.9 for a problem that could cause VACUUM
>> FULL to create duplicate copies of a row that had recently been updated.
>> Does that sound like a plausible scenario for your usage?

> Yes, it does, very much so. The row in question is updated once
> a minute (it is "test" data that is used by our system monitor
> to ensure that the database is up, and one of the tests is updating
> the row), and the database is vacuumed full once a day.

Yeah, that fits exactly. IIRC that VACUUM FULL bug could only be
triggered if there had been a series of multiple updates to the same row
within the lifespan of the oldest open transaction, so repeated updates
on a short timescale would form part of the triggering condition.

Sounds like you need to pester Ubuntu to freshen their package ...