Re: Datum should be defined outside postgres.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Datum should be defined outside postgres.h
Date: 2007-10-30 17:01:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> My idea is to put functions declaration int pg_xxx.h and structure
> declaration in pg_xxx_def.h. I'm not sure if split DATA into separate
> header is good idea, but if yes then pg_xxx_data.h should be good name
> for it (it seems that pg_dump needs only defines).

That seems far more invasive than is justified, as it will essentially
force touching every file that includes any catalog header. I think
the vast majority are including for the struct definitions, and so the
structs should stay where they are. Moving the DATA lines is a pretty
bad idea as well, since we'd also have to move the corresponding OID
macro #defines (in examples such as pg_type.h), leading to yet more
pointless #include-thrashing.