Re: Install 8.1 on Mac OS 10.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Viva Chu <viva(at)root(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install 8.1 on Mac OS 10.4
Date: 2005-12-03 20:36:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

Viva Chu <viva(at)root(dot)net> writes:
> I'm trying to compile postgresql 8.1 on my powerbook, mac os 10.4. Can't
> seem to get the ./configure script to run correctly.

> configure:2159: error: C compiler cannot create executables

You've got a pretty broken compiler installation AFAICS. Does it work
for any other purpose?

Postgres does build out-of-the-box on OS X, as long as you have a sane
set of developer tools installed. IIRC, OS X 10.4 requires at least
Xcode 2.0, and 2.1 is probably a better idea. If you've upgraded from
10.3 or earlier you may have obsolete Xcode files. Try downloading the
latest Xcode, wiping your current Xcode installation, and installing
fresh.