shell environment control within psql

From: myke(at)komar(dot)org (climbingboulder)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shell environment control within psql
Date: 2002-10-31 17:26:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm on sun solaris 2.8 with postgres 7.2. I run bash, and use VT102
terminal emulation when I'm connected to this server. When I'm at the
command line, I can use the backspace key, and the arrows. However,
when I type "psql db" to get into the postgres shell.... none of these
work. The arrow keys are especially frustrating...

by not working, I mean:
backspace: ^H
left arrow: ^[[D
right arrow:^[[C
up arrow: ^[[A
down arrow: ^[[B

the delete key works, and ctrl+backspace works as a delete as well.
but I'd really like that functionality.

any thoughts?
Myke