Re: Parallel worker error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel worker error
Date: 2017-08-30 11:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I can duplicate this in HEAD and v10, but not 9.6, so I've added it
> as an open issue for v10. No idea what broke it.

Oh, scratch that: the issue exists in 9.6, it's just that the particular
test query you're using here does not generate a parallelized plan in
9.6, as shown by "explain". With a different query that does get
parallelized, 9.6 fails too:

regression=# select sum(ten) from tenk1;
ERROR: role "testuser1" does not exist
CONTEXT: parallel worker

Still, I think it's reasonable to characterize this as "must fix for v10".