Re: Extending table name max length

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tony Griffiths <tony(dot)griffiths(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extending table name max length
Date: 2002-04-15 17:32:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tony Griffiths <tony(dot)griffiths(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> I had assumed that there would be a single header file that sets the max
> name length, but it loos like the esql precompiler didn't pick up the
> amended max name length.

Did you remember to recompile ecpg? AFAICT it uses the same NAMEDATALEN
symbol as everyplace else.

In general, when making a system-wide configuration change like that
one, it'd be a good idea to "make clean" at the top level, then do a
full make, make install, initdb cycle.

If you did all that, another possibility is an include file search path
problem: perhaps the ecpg compile picked up a previously-installed
postgres_ext.h with the wrong NAMEDATALEN value.