Re: postgresql 7.1 on linux alpha

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tegge, Bernd" <tegge(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 7.1 on linux alpha
Date: 2001-05-03 14:45:02
Lists: pgsql-ports

"Tegge, Bernd" <tegge(at)repas-aeg(dot)de> writes:
> I have compiled Postgresql 7.1 on an elderly Alpha running Linux.
> Unfortunately some of the regression tests fail in a way that suggests
> there is something seriously wrong.

I agree, you've got a broken build there.

> Does anybody have installed postgres successfully in a similar config ?

Several people have reported successful use of 7.1 on Alphas. I've
tested it personally on a Debian Alpha box.

I suspect you are having problems with compiler bugs (egcs-2.91.66 is
pretty far back no?). Try a newer gcc release --- 2.95.2 is what I was
using on that Debian box. Or perhaps just reducing the optimization
level to -O0 will work.