Re: compiling source code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <karaasma83(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: compiling source code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: 2006-05-25 09:18:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gurjeet Singh said:
> Also, I would recommend uninstalling cygwin before you install
> mingw, because if the mingw doesn't behave properly (gcc won't compile
> files etc...), you could be sure that there definitely is a conflict
> between the cygwin and mingw.
>
> If you don't wish to uninstall cygwin, at least rename the folder
> to someting else (cygwin.before.mingw) so that you don't accidentally
> use cygwin's binaries.

This is complete nonsense. I have Cygwin and Mingw/Msys living quite happily
side by side on the same box. Each is largely ignorant of the other.

Of course, if you add Cygwin to the system path you can cause problems, so
don't do that. But there is no need at all that I know of to uninstall or
rename anything.

If you have problems with your setup please ask for help, instead of handing
out wrong advice.

cheers

andrew