Re: pg_restore out of memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
Cc: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore out of memory
Date: 2007-06-18 18:53:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com> writes:
> Also the error is about running out of memory when trying to allocate 84MB.
> The default FreeBSD limit is 512MB so 84MB is well below that.

Keep in mind though that the COPY process is going to involve several
working copies of that data (at least four that I can think of ---
line input buffer, field input buffer, constructed text object, and
constructed tuple).

I'm also not clear on whether the 512MB limit you refer to will count
the PG shared memory area, but if so that could easily be a couple
hundred meg off the top of what a backend can allocate as temporary
workspace.

So it seems entirely likely to me that you'd need a ulimit above 512MB
to push around 84MB fields.