Re: Frontend error logging style

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Frontend error logging style
Date: 2022-03-22 02:00:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2022-02-25 12:15:25 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The attached revision does that, standardizes on pg_fatal() as the
>> abbreviation for pg_log_error() + exit(1), and invents detail/hint
>> features as per previous discussion.

> This unfortunately has had some bitrot: http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_37_3574.log

Yeah, I know. That patch touches enough places that it's sure to
break every few days during a commitfest. I'm not real excited about
maintaining it reactively. The flip side of the coin is that pushing
it will doubtless break a lot of other uncommitted patches. So I'm
not sure how to proceed.

Maybe the plan could be to push it at the end of the commitfest? But
what I'd really like at the moment is buy-in or rejection of the whole
concept, so I know whether it's worth spending more time on.