Re: [HACKERS] Postmaster options, process spawning, logging, etc.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Holloway <mtsinc(at)southeast(dot)net>
Cc: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Postmaster options, process spawning, logging, etc.
Date: 1999-12-16 14:40:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tim Holloway <mtsinc(at)southeast(dot)net> writes:
> 1. Matthew's problem sounds an awful lot like what's being reported
> by Lucio Andres Perez in v6.4.2. Maybe some kind of bug in detecting
> and handling over-the-limit backends.

6.4.* didn't really have any check/defense against spawning more
backends than it had resources for. 6.5 does check and enforce the
maxbackends limit. It's certainly possible that Matthew's running into
some kind of resource-exhaustion problem, but I doubt that it's just
the number of backends that's at issue, except indirectly. (He could
be running out of swap space or filetable slots, possibly.)