Re: BUG #17382: When vacuum full or vacuumdb - F is executed, a large number of empty files will be generated in the

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: 1726002692(at)qq(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17382: When vacuum full or vacuumdb - F is executed, a large number of empty files will be generated in the
Date: 2022-01-26 15:29:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> When vacuum full or vacuumdb - F is executed, a large number of empty files
> will be generated in the database. These files have never been deleted.
> Each execution of vacuum full or vacuudb - F will produce a large number of
> empty files.These empty files will not be deleted until the database is
> restarted.
> Is this a bug?

It might be if you could tell us how to reproduce it --- I see no
such behavior here.

In general, PG uses numerically-named files for table contents,
but they should always appear in subdirectories of $PGDATA, never
in the directory's top level. So I have no idea what those are
or what put them there. Perhaps you are using some unusual
extension or custom C code that creates them?