Re: pg_dumpall 8.1.4 large objects error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall 8.1.4 large objects error
Date: 2006-06-09 20:08:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

I wrote:
>> This is computing obj_description() redundantly for each pg_largeobject
>> chunk. Perhaps there is a memory leak in obj_description() in 7.3.2?

Actually, obj_description() is a SQL-language function, and we had
horrendous problems with end-of-function-call memory leakage in SQL
functions in every version before 7.4. So this is undoubtedly the
source of Jeff's problem.

Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> writes:
> I'll alter pg_dump and recompile, then give a test. Does pg_dumpall just call
> pg_dump or do I need to change it there too?

pg_dumpall calls pg_dump, so only one place to fix. I've already
committed the fix in CVS, if you'd prefer to use a tested patch.
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c.diff?r1=1.422.2.3;r2=1.422.2.4