Re: 8.0.2beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Cristian Prieto" <cristian(at)clickdiario(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0.2beta1
Date: 2005-03-29 17:22:20
Lists: pgsql-general

"Cristian Prieto" <cristian(at)clickdiario(dot)com> writes:
> What are the differences, bugfixes, features, etc in the 8.0.2beta1? I =
> was looking around and I couldn't find anything related... Could =
> somebody help me?

Unfortunately we haven't prepared release notes yet. If you want to do
testing, what I would look for is performance changes. The main stuff
in 8.0.2 (other than bugfixes for very specific bugs) is:

* Replace ARC buffer management algorithm by 2Q to avoid pending IBM patent.
Testing so far says this causes a few percent degradation in some
cases and no visible impact in others. We'd be interested to hear
more reports.

* Planner tweaks to avoid bad side-effects of the 8.0 change that made
the planner use the current physical table size instead of what
pg_class.relpages says. That's usually a win but caused problems if
a plan is cached when the table is first created (and so is empty).