Re: TCP_KEEPIDLE Question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Grant Fisher <gfisher(at)pecanstreet(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP_KEEPIDLE Question
Date: 2013-11-13 04:53:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Grant Fisher <gfisher(at)pecanstreet(dot)org> writes:
> I am running postgresql 9.3 (installed via the
> apt.postgresql.orgrepository) on Ubuntu 12.10. I just upgraded from
> 9.2 on a dev machine, and
> when looking through the logs, I noticed that there were a lot of entries
> stating "LOG: setsockopt(TCP_KEEPIDLE) failed: Invalid argument".

Hm, that's the kernel call corresponding to our GUC parameter
tcp_keepalives_idle --- have you set a nondefault value for that?
For implementation reasons, a bad setting for that is likely to
result in this log message and no other indication.

Another possibility is that your kernel doesn't allow this parameter
to be set ... but that seems pretty unlikely for a reasonably-vanilla
Linux kernel.