Error in pgAdmin II

From: VisualBoy(at)excite(dot)com
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error in pgAdmin II
Date: 2001-09-19 00:14:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

I downloaded pgAdmin II yesterday and installed it on my desktop,
but when i try to connect to my PostGresSQL database on RedHat Linux 7
I got this errror message:

Error in pgAdmin II:frmConnect.cmdConnect_Click: -2147467259 -
Could not connect to the server; Could not connect to remote socket.

Note: I successfully installed pgAdmin II and all of its

requirements/prerequisites on my pc and the postmaster is up
and
running on RedHat Linux 7.

Although I'm not so sure if i had configured the postmaster or

PostGresSQL properly --- I just started using PostGresSQL last

week.

I included a this line in the pg_hba.conf:

host all my.pc's.ip.address 255.255.255.0 trust

Do I need to restart postmaster in order for this to take
effect?
More important, would this solve my problem?

Please explain the line below (as of now, the line below is not

included in my pg_hba.conf or is tag as commnet with "#"):

host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 trust

Do I need to inlude this in my pg_hba.conf? If my understanding
is
correct this would allow anybody (any pc/host) to connect
to postamaster and use any database. Please correct me if I'm

wrong. If I'm right do I need my to restart postmaster? Would
this solve my problem?

Hope you could give me some advice asap, I'm tired of doing everything via
CLI.
My expectation with pgAdmin II is that I could administer my PostGresSQL
database on Linux at my desktop pc and that it would be via GUI (coz i'm the
VisualBoy) like the enterprise manager of MS-SQL Server or the Sybase
Central of ASE.

Thanks and more power.

VisualBoy

Send a cool gift with your E-Card