Re: Bug #504: multiple cursors cause transaction problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: griffitt(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #504: multiple cursors cause transaction problems
Date: 2001-10-30 20:45:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> I'm trying to query several tables with different cursors within a c++
> program. I use ecpg -t to compile the code (see example below). When I
> run the code I can open anf fetch the first cursor,. However after the
> first cursor is exhausted (i.e.,sqlca.sqlcode == ECPG_NOT_FOUND) and
> the loop finished, any attempt to open a new cursor gets the following
> error:

> -601: current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transact

You have omitted to tell us what error is causing the backend to abort
the transaction in the first place. If ecpg is failing to tell you
about an error reported by the backend (and you've not simply missed
a check for error somewhere you need one), that might be a bug we need
to fix.

If you're not sure what's going on, try turning on query logging at the
postmaster and examine the postmaster log to see which query is
provoking what error.