Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: getting execution plans with multiple database connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jenny Zhang <jenny(at)osdl(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, osdldbt-general(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: getting execution plans with multiple database connections
Date: 2003-08-16 12:14:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Jenny Zhang <jenny(at)osdl(dot)org> writes:
> And I still have the same problem. Since PG should fail if no more
> files can be opened, my test should fail. But I got all the other
> results back at the end of the run.

No, you miss my point. Usually PG will *not* fail when it hits ENFILE.
The code is designed to close other open files until it can successfully
open the required file. Only a freshly-started backend (with no pool of
already-open files) is likely to report any actual failure from ENFILE.

So a database under load can run quite happily when there are zero free
file table slots in the kernel --- but everything else in the system is
likely to show random failures.