Re: Generic hash function?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Generic hash function?
Date: 2006-12-03 21:33:20
Lists: pgsql-novice
Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to write a generic equals operator that works on type
> anyelement,

What for?  You'd ultimately have to depend on the various actual input
types' native equality operators, so I don't see what this'd buy except
a layer of useless-seeming overhead.  Also, it could only be hashable
if the input type's equality is hashable, and we don't have any way to
deal with a "sometimes hashable" equality operator.