Re: Connecting to PostgreSQL on Linux with windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "mmaclennan" <mmaclennan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to PostgreSQL on Linux with windows
Date: 2006-05-12 14:31:40
Lists: pgsql-general

"mmaclennan" <mmaclennan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hi, I have a linux box (Fedora 3) running the latest version of
> PostgreSQL and PostGIS. I am trying connect to the database through a
> windows computer but can't seem to make the connection work. I've
> configured the pb_hba.config file in the usr directory to as "host
> all all 192.168.1.0/24 md5" but it doesn't seem
> to work.

As already noted, providing no more detail than "doesn't seem to work"
is a good way to guarantee you won't get any useful responses. I'll
suggest two likely possibilities though:

* you forgot to start the postmaster with the option to make it listen
for TCP connections (tcpip_socket or listen_addresses depending on PG
vintage)

* you've got the kernel firewall configured in a way that doesn't let
through any packets to port 5432. (I believe this is default on most
RHEL/Fedora versions :-()