Re: Fix for pg_statio_all_tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for pg_statio_all_tables
Date: 2020-04-21 13:59:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 7:58 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Yeah, but that was for a security hole. I am doubtful that the
>> severity of this problem is bad enough to justify jumping through
>> similar hoops. Even if we fixed it and documented it, how many
>> users would bother to apply the manual correction?

> Sure, only most conscious users will do the manual correction. But if
> there are only two option: backpatch it this way or don't backpatch at
> all, then I would choose the first one.

Well, if it were something that you could just do and forget, then
maybe. But actually, you are proposing to invest a lot of *other*
people's time --- notably me, as the likely author of the next
set of release notes --- so it's not entirely up to you.

Given the lack of field complaints, I'm still of the opinion that
this isn't really worth back-patching.