Re: .pgpass does not work for createlang

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: John Shin <jshin(at)multifamilytechsolutions(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .pgpass does not work for createlang
Date: 2005-10-11 21:41:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:16:40AM -0700, John Shin wrote:
>> Tried many diffent ways but nothing seems to stick for createlang.
>> .pgpass works for all others (createdb, dropdb, createuser, dropuser,
>> etc.)

>> -bash-3.00$ createdb test -h localhost -U postgres
>> CREATE DATABASE

> Hmmm...this command fails with "too many command-line arguments"
> on both FreeBSD and Solaris (8.0.4 built from source on both), so
> I wonder if your build is using a getopt_long() that behaves
> differently than what I'm using. Might not matter, though.

That syntax does work for me on FC4, so probably the issue is GNU
getopt_long versus other implementations (likely, our own port/ code).
I don't think it's relevant though, since John exhibited a failure
even while using the "standard" command line syntax.

The whole thing is more than passing strange. createlang uses exactly
the same connection code as the other "scripts" binaries, so there's
no obvious reason why it would behave differently. I concur with the
suggestion to try strace'ing it and see where the behavior starts to
vary from, say, createdb.