Re: Support tab completion for upper character inputs in psql

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tang, Haiying" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support tab completion for upper character inputs in psql
Date: 2021-03-15 20:20:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.02.21 15:48, Tang, Haiying wrote:
> I'm still confused about the APPROPRIATE behavior of tab completion.
> It seems ALTER table/tablespace <name> SET/RESET is already case-insensitive.
>
> For example
> # alter tablespace dbspace set(e[tab]
> # alter tablespace dbspace set(effective_io_concurrency
>
> # alter tablespace dbspace set(E[tab]
> # alter tablespace dbspace set(EFFECTIVE_IO_CONCURRENCY

This case completes with a hardcoded list, which is done
case-insensitively by default. The cases that complete with a query
result are not case insensitive right now. This affects things like

UPDATE T<tab>

as well. I think your first patch was basically right. But we need to
understand that this affects all completions with query results, not
just the one you wanted to fix. So you should analyze all the callers
and explain why the proposed change is appropriate.