Re: Allow backend to output result sets in XML

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Moore <brianmooreca(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow backend to output result sets in XML
Date: 2004-01-20 15:36:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brian Moore <brianmooreca(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> i would like to begin work on the TODO item
> Allow backend to output result sets in XML

I am not sure why it's phrased that way --- surely the code to hack on
is the client side, not the backend. Otherwise you need a protocol
revision to make this happen, which implies hacking *both* ends.

psql already has some code to output results as HTML tables; I'd think
adding functionality in that vicinity would be the way to go.