Re: Request for download stats on release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for download stats on release
Date: 2004-08-12 03:57:35
Lists: pgsql-www

> Bruce,
>> The issue is how hard is it to get the information, and how useful is it
>> to us. It is pretty hard to get, and if we knew a number, what would we
>> do with it that would help PostgreSQL? Not much, I think.

> Well, it's a moot point, I think, since we can't get it. But this is
> something which reporters ask me for all the time.

Well, sure they ask that, because they don't understand what open source
is. View it as an opportunity to educate them. Commercial software
companies know exactly how many licenses they've sold, so (discounting
pirates) they have a good idea how many users are out there. The
Postgres project does not control distribution of our software and so
we have no reasonable way to measure the number of users. From our
perspective this is not a problem.