Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?
Date: 2020-05-05 15:17:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de> writes:
> Would it be premature to complain about the not-that-great look of Table
> 9.1 now?
> Compare the two attached images: the screenshot from
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-comparison.html
> vs the GIMP-assisted pipe dream of mine to align it to the right edge of
> the table cell.

Hmph. I experimented with the attached patch, but at least in my browser
it only reduces the spacing inconsistency, it doesn't eliminate it.
And from a semantic standpoint, this is not nice markup.

Doing better would require substantial foolery with sub-columns and I'm
not even sure that it's possible to fix that way. (We don't have huge
control over inter-column spacing, I don't think.)

On the whole, if this is our worst table problem, I'm happy ;-)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
hack-table-9.1.patch text/x-diff 1.3 KB