Re: Problem with dump/restore and inheritance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Dunlop <chris(at)onthe(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with dump/restore and inheritance
Date: 2006-02-23 18:33:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Chris Dunlop <chris(at)onthe(dot)net(dot)au> writes:
> One way or the other, I think either allowing the inherited
> constraints to be dropped, or the inability of pg_dump to
> correctly dump the resulting schema, should be considered a bug
> rather than a lacking feature, as the current situation results
> in problematical restores. Is there a "known bugs" list?

I agree that allowing inherited constraints to be dropped is a bug.
We don't really have a "known bugs" list other than the TODO list,
which presently includes

o %Disallow dropping of an inherited constraint
o %Prevent child tables from altering or dropping constraints
like CHECK that were inherited from the parent table

(Which looks a bit redundant to me, but that's what Bruce has listed.)