Re: Partial index causing wrong results to be returned on 8.1.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partial index causing wrong results to be returned on 8.1.3
Date: 2006-08-29 04:20:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> I could not duplicate this on any identical database, but thought I
> would report it here, just for completeness. I've tried reindexing,
> vacuuming, etc. Explain plans all look normal.

Possibly explained by this 8.1.4 fix?

* src/backend/optimizer/plan/: createplan.c (REL8_1_STABLE),
createplan.c: When a bitmap indexscan is using a partial index, it
is necessary to include the partial index predicate in the scan's
"recheck condition". Otherwise, if the scan becomes lossy for lack
of bitmap memory, we would fail to enforce that returned rows
satisfy the predicate. Noted while studying bug #2441 from Arjen
van der Meijden.

If it gives right answers after you increase work_mem sufficiently,
I'd bet on this one ...