Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 19:01:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I would propose to start CommitFests July 15th, September 15th,
>> November 15th, and January 15th, planning all but the last to be one
>> month long. The last CommitFest I would plan on closing up by March
>> 1st, with release hopefully by June 1st.

> This sounds good to me. Anyone object?

I'd like to set the target before PGCon not after; so May 1 or May 15.
Otherwise +1.

> The deciding people on "big patches" for the final commitfest should be
> a combination of the commitfest managers and the core team. And we
> should weed out the disqualified before January 15.

As you say, we should reject outright (at the start of the final CF)
anything that's clearly too big. But in the final 8.4 CF it didn't
really become clear until later on that some things were not ready or
were too big to deal with. We need to be more willing to swing the axe
later in the fest, rather than allowing it to drag on "just a bit more"
in the hopes of getting big feature X in.