Re: control max length of parameter values logged

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexey Bashtanov <bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: control max length of parameter values logged
Date: 2020-03-14 22:41:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am sorry --- I am confused. Why are we truncating or allowing control
> of truncation of BIND parameter values, but have no such facility for
> queries. Do we assume queries are shorter than BIND parameters, or is
> it just that it is easier to trim BIND parameters than values embedded
> in non-EXECUTE queries.

The cases that Alvaro was worried about were enormous values supplied
via bind parameters. We haven't heard comparable complaints about
the statement text. Also, from a security standpoint, the contents
of the statement text are way more critical than the contents of
an out-of-line parameter; you can't do SQL injection from the latter.
So I think the audience for trimming would be a lot smaller for
statement-text trimming.