Re: WIP: avoiding tuple construction/deconstruction overhead

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: a_ogawa <a_ogawa(at)hi-ho(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: avoiding tuple construction/deconstruction overhead
Date: 2005-03-17 14:51:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

a_ogawa <a_ogawa(at)hi-ho(dot)ne(dot)jp> writes:
> (1)We can improve compare_heap() by using TableTupleSlot instead of
> HeapTuple. Please see attached patch.

Did you measure any performance improvement from that? I considered it
but thought it would likely be a wash or a loss, because in most cases
only one attribute will be pulled from a tuple during comparetup_heap.
slot_getattr cannot improve on heap_getattr in that case, and is quite
likely to be slower.

> (3)There is a description of slot->val in comment of execTuple.c.
> This had better revise it.

Drat, how'd I miss that? Thanks.