Re: TODO-item: Add sleep() function, remove from regress.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO-item: Add sleep() function, remove from regress.c
Date: 2006-01-10 01:50:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> I'd personally prefer to call the function pg_sleep(), but since it is
> called sleep() on the TODO list and in previous discussions, I kept the
> name. The internal function is called pg_sleep() however.

pg_sleep seems like a better idea to me too.

Why is the function defined to take numeric rather than float8?
float8 is a whole lot easier to work with internally. (Performance
doesn't seem like an issue here, but length and readability of the code
are worth worrying about.) Further, you could avoid assuming that the
machine has working int64 arithmetic, which is an assumption I still
think we should avoid everywhere that it's not absolutely essential.

The proposed regression test seems unacceptably fragile, as well as
rather pointless.