Re: libpq PQstatus problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: philip(dot)howell(at)cit(dot)act(dot)edu(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq PQstatus problem
Date: 2001-03-14 05:52:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

<philip(dot)howell(at)cit(dot)act(dot)edu(dot)au> writes:
> Then I stopped the network (eth0) on the postgreSQL server and hit <return>
> again and still got

>> Connection status... OK

I don't believe this is a bug. PQstatus indicates whether you did make
a successful connection to the database server --- it is not intended to
be an up-to-the-nanosecond report on whether the network is still up or
not. In particular, the status will *not* be updated if you haven't
executed any new operations on the connection lately.

If you have a network that's so unstable that you need to program around
problems like this, consider 'ping'.