Re: Re: CREATE COLLATION does not sanitize ICU's BCP 47 language tags. Should it?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: CREATE COLLATION does not sanitize ICU's BCP 47 language tags. Should it?
Date: 2017-09-30 15:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 09:36:44AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>>> I think it's inevitable that a certain number of users are going to
>>> have to cope with ICU version changes breaking stuff.

>> Wasn't the main point of adopting ICU that that doesn't happen when it
>> isn't essential?

> I wouldn't describe it that way. I agree that few, if any, ICU upgrades will
> remove country or language codes. Overall, though, almost every ICU upgrade
> will be difficult. Each ICU release, even a minor release like 58.2, changes
> the sorting rules in some tiny way. You then see "Rebuild all objects
> affected by this collation" messages.

Sure, but dealing with that is mechanical: reindex the necessary indexes
and you're done. I think it's important to distinguish that from a case
where users have to change their collation definitions. That is a
qualitatively different, and much harder, upgrade problem.

I'd also argue that the point of adopting ICU was exactly so we *could*
distinguish those cases, and limit the scope of a normal upgrade to
"reindex these identifiable indexes and you're done". In the libc world,
when you upgrade libc's locale definitions, you have no idea what the
consequences are.