Re: Fixing findDependentObjects()'s dependency on scan order (regressions in DROP diagnostic messages)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing findDependentObjects()'s dependency on scan order (regressions in DROP diagnostic messages)
Date: 2019-02-09 17:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-Feb-09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think you're doing it to get rid of the INTERNAL dependency so that
>> deletion won't recurse across that, but why is that a good idea? Needs
>> a comment at least.

> Yeah, it's deleting the INTERNAL dependency, because otherwise the
> trigger deletion is (correctly) forbidden, since the constraint depends
> on it.

Well, the question that's begged here is exactly why it's okay to remove
the trigger and dependency link despite the fact that the constraint needs
it. I suppose the answer is that we'll subsequently insert a new trigger
implementing the same constraint (and internally-linked to it)? That
information is what I'd like to have in the comment.

> Perhaps it'd be good to have it be more targetted: make sure it
> only deletes that dependency row and not any others that the trigger
> might have (though I don't have it shouldn't have any. How could it?) I'd do
> that by adding a new function

I'm not sure that'd be an improvement, especially in light of the
hazard that the trigger might somehow have acquired extension and/or
partition dependencies that'd also cause issues.