Re: Closing some 8.4 open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Date: 2009-04-10 15:46:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yea, I thought we were going to do this:

> Please find enclosed one way to handle it, this being prepending
> WINDOW to the result types in \df.

> but I don't see this behavior in CVS.

IIRC, my original proposal involved adding something to the argument
list --- it seems more natural to regard window-ness as having something
to do with the arguments than the result. But that was shot down on the
grounds of not fitting in well unless we wanted to add more decoration,
like parens around the regular argument list.

Another idea was to add a new column to the \df output to mark
window-ness. Which, as I recall, *nobody* liked. But maybe if we
only did it for \df+ it would be more tolerable?